1 in 5 South Africans don't think their passwords are valuable to hackers - htxt.africa

edited April 2015 in Site discussion

image1 in 5 South Africans don't think their passwords are valuable to hackers - htxt.africa

Survey reveals a rather lax local attitude toward password security, security company provides tips on what to do.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I don't know, I don't really agree with that advice. Nobody can create a password for each and every account that they use...

So I follow the following system:
    a) Use a password manager with a unique password. I use KeePass and Dropbox - I don't want to pay and I don't like online password managers that "plug into my browser". Each and every password I create gets stored in there - even if it is a memorable password.
    b) I have a couple of "common" passwords that I use for simple sites where I need a login. HTXT would be a good example. That way I can remember it easy enough (and unfortunately I do need to sign in again every now and then). Obviously these are stored inside my password manager.
    c) I use more unique passwords for eCommerce sites since these can cost me money.
    d) I use more unique passwords for sites that has links to other sites or other people - i.e. mostly social media. The reason here is that you could potentially lose access to other sites if your Facebook details are stolen. Also, I don't want anybody to hack accounts where they have access to my friends / family.
    e) I have unique passwords for my primary emails. These are the most important (as the article says). They are however still memorable - once again since I'm forced to log in so bloody often.
    f) I use two-step verification wherever available.

• Ditto the above - and also the old XKCD way of choosing the passwords you have to remember. Three random words that are easy to recall with a few numbers thrown in for luck