Netflix SA versus Netflix US. Here's what you're missing.

Comments

• We should never have seen the original US content on Netflix then the let down would not have been this big! We were MAINLY looking forward to Netflix because on the US version they have MANY LGBT movies....the South African version has NOTHING!!! The cost is +- R161 per month for something that is obviously worse than Showmax which only costs R99 per month. I think we will cancel Netflix after the first month and keep our eyes peeled on your articles to see if we get the same offerings as the US version. And doing the UnoTelly route is just a schlep and costs a lot more.

• We were MAINLY looking forward to Netflix because on the US version they have MANY LGBT movies....
    We're confused by the same thing. It's not just LGBT movies - overall Netflix SA seems very, um, conservative in its content choices... as ever, ultraviolence is OK but there's a huge hole in content that's even slightly risque, never mind seriously engaging with sex or sexuality. OITNB and House of Cards are the obvious omissions, but there's many, many more... Working on an oped to this end right now.
  • OITNB and House of Cards are not available due to regional licensing. The movie options are also different, some newer titles available on ZA, but not on US.

For those people concerned about spending $5 on Unotelly to get US version, you could always use Tunlr, which only offers access to US, but only costs $0.99 per month. I've been using the beta for six months and the paid version has just launched. Works perfectly with an Apple TV, an iPad and an android tablet.

Also, unlike Apple iTunes, a single netflix account is valid in every country's version of the service. So you can chop and change your settings via a DNS tunneling service to sample the offerings in different countries.
  • @{Arfness} Tunlr is cool, trouble is that once you've had the variety of Unotelly it's hard to go back. I regularly switch between UK and US for stuff like Brooklyn Nine Nine or Community, etc.
  • Sorry for my ignorance, but if I use Unotelly or Tunlt to watch US content how would I view it on my TV? Currently using Apple TV. Would it then bring up the US content if my PC has the Unotelly or Tunlr installed?
  • Johan22 said:
    Sorry for my ignorance, but if I use Unotelly or Tunlt to watch US content how would I view it on my TV? Currently using Apple TV. Would it then bring up the US content if my PC has the Unotelly or Tunlr installed?
    Basically there's two ways to set up Unotelly.

The first is to configure your router so that all DNS requests from devices in your home to be redirected via your router, so every device in your house will always use Unotelly's DNS servers.

The second is to change the network settings of each device individually. There's nothing to install with Unotelly, you just go to network settings and configure the DNS gateway options manually (usually these are configured automatically and point to your router).

Either way (and I'd recommend the second option, you might not want all your internet traffic directed via Unotelly) there's no limit to the number of devices that you can configure with Unotelly, so you can set it up on your PC, Mac Mini, Phone etc all at once. The only catch is they've all got to be connected to the same internet connection (ie your home router, whether that connects to ADSL, Fibre or LTE etc).

Basically, the way Unotelly works is it that you send DNS requests via its servers, but you don't log into its service each time you send a DNS request. Instead, you have to tell it which IP address you're coming from - all devices connected to your home WiFi/router will usually have the same IP address (the one for your modem) as far as the internet is concerned.

If a DNS request hits Unotelly's servers, it cross references this with registered IP addresses and then either directs traffic to a different Netflix region or not.

Often the IP address assigned to your modem/router will change if your router/modem is rebooted or your internet connection goes down, so you'll need to log into Unotelly either via the website or app to update your IP address every so often.

Using the same Unotelly app or website you can change the Netflix region you want to watch as many times as you like - but again, all devices in your home will be set to the same region.

In my experience, it can take a bit of getting used to if you've not played around with network settings etc before, but most people are fine with it before long.