Ubuntu 13.10 on the Surface Pro - htxt.africa

edited March 2014 in Site discussion

imageUbuntu 13.10 on the Surface Pro - htxt.africa

Microsoft's Surface Pro is a great little laptop-cum-tablet, but can we make it better by removing Windows?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Hi Adam - I created a live USB with 13.10 and I was able to successfully preview Ubuntu on my surface pro 2. Unfortunately the WiFi is not working though. Is there a reason why the WiFi wouldn't work on the live preview? I'm hesitant to perform a full installation without successfully connecting to the internet first. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • I haven't tried the Surface Pro 2, but I believe it's the same hardware as the SP1 as far as the WiFi chip goes. I found that 13.04 needed a lot of config hacking to get the WiFi running, but in 13.10 it worked out of the box. The chip is a Marvell 88W8797, which should be supported in the kernel.

Quick Google suggests that the problem with Pro 2 isn't the WiFi chip, though, but the USB driver. There's some fixes in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2183946&page=2&s=69736b164dd95a8db422965bf8aa4835 which seem to sort it. Bit complex. mind.