Pokémon GO’s launch in South Africa imminent? - htxt.africa

edited July 2016 in Site discussion

imagePokémon GO’s launch in South Africa imminent? - htxt.africa

We have the South African pricing for Pokémon GO's PokeCoins, which could point to an imminent local release.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Small correction. Nintendo confirmed that they did not publish nor did they have a hand in the creation of Pokémon GO. They have a 30% shareholding in The Pokemon company and some shares in Niantic and that is the only association. You can read it here. https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/25/nintendo-pokemon-go-shares-stock-fall/
  • Your information regarding the iOS version of Pokemon Go seems to be incorrect. I downloaded mine off the US App Store the day after it was released and my prices on the in-game store have always shown in rand.
  • It is unchecked, uninformed posts like this that creates expectations that the app will launch soon.

Please do more research before posting this utter nonsense. I did see that you were corrected but still, this article should be removed.

No confirmed release date in SA, stop POSTING IT for traffic to your website.

Creator of Pokemon GO South Africa group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/PoGoSA/?fref=nf
    Quinton
  • edited August 2016
    It is unchecked, uninformed posts like this that creates expectations that the app will launch soon. Please do more research before posting this utter nonsense. I did see that you were corrected but still, this article should be removed. No confirmed release date in SA, stop POSTING IT for traffic to your website. Creator of Pokemon GO South Africa group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/PoGoSA/?fref=nf Quinton
    Hi @{Quinton de Bruyn} .

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry you feel that way.

Our editorial policy, however, is to own our mistakes - by which I mean when an article requires correcting, we do it in the open and leave the original piece up acknowledging that we got it wrong. That's good practice for online journalism as it keeps us accountable. Unless there's an exceptional reason, we don't delete stories - and that's a good thing.

As many readers pointed out to us, in this case someone messed up, and that happens sometimes. Fair cop, and by leaving the public record it encourages us not to let it happen again.

We have never said that there's a confirmed release date for South Africa. Indeed, I think we're the only site to have published opinion pieces with the counter view that no-one in South Africa should be playing the game yet, as it could damage the community in the long run.

Conversely, we're big fans of PoGoSA, we've been to your events and written praisingly of them and would love to work with you guys in the future. None of us have any insight into Niantic's movements in South Africa beyond the official line, but to accuse us of using the game to drive traffic to our commercial activities while breaking our (admittedly loose) comment rules by linking to your events (where you sell battery packs) seems a little unfair.

Best

Adam

• Hi Adam!

Thank you for your reply as well, I appreciate the thoughtful response.

I also had to backtrack on this statement since then - I realised the dangers of posting methods for APK and iOS methods of obtaining the game, I have since communicated this with my members. I have received massive backlash for what I am doing - I admit mistakes were made.

I can however fix how we move forward and we are trying to stay in line as much as possible.

This all would have happened with or without me, I am trying to make sure that the environment where this is all happening is safe and accessible to everyone.

I would love to start a conversation to work more closely together - how do you suggest we start? :)

Regards

Quinton
  • @Quinton de Bruyn Not a problem at all - would love to work with you guys. Have dm'd email address details.